We were asked to come up with an interesting way to launch a brand-new flavour of Magners cider: Dark Fruit.
The launch coincided with Halloween and so we planned a spooky experience at The Drovers Inn, one of the UK’s most haunted pubs.
Our ‘paranormal experiment’, left our audience of influencers and journalists clutching their pints in horror at a series of rigged tricks including a creepy recording from the pub’s ghostly ‘regular’ Anna.
The plethora of technical trickery, all conceived and produced in-house at Bright Signals, included:
- A live time EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) conversation with the ghost, achieved through a hacked analogue cassette recorder, Raspberry Pi technology and real time audio editing.
- Fake power surges through a bespoke wired chandelier.
- Hacked car locking mechanisms to move objects within the room.
- A self-ringing spirit bell powered by remotely controlled electromagnets.
- Hacked video cameras and infrared lighting to enable night vision.
The results of the elaborate pranks and the appearance of ‘Anna’ were hilariously haunting – Gaining over 100,000 views on its first day alone.